Thursday, November 10, 2011

5 Months Old & Homemade Baby Food

Yesterday, Hailey turned 5 months old.  I say this every month, but I really just can't believe how fast time is flying by.  It seems like every day she is doing something new!  She doesn't go back to the pediatrician until she is 6 months, but I'm sure her height and weight are still right on track.  She fills out most of her 3-6 month clothing, thanks to that adorably round tummy of hers!  She still has her gorgeous bright blue eyes, and her hair is coming in blonde... which is so strange to me since almost every person in my immediate and extended family has brown hair.  But Rian did have white blonde hair until he was about 4 years old so I'm sure that's where she gets it!

We started putting her in the Johnny Jumper and the Excersaucer, and they are really helping to strengthen her legs.  She reaches for all the toys attached to them and jumps up and down squealing with excitement!  When we lay her on the ground, she just rolls and rolls across the room!  Also when she is on her tummy, she can push herself up with her arms straight.  Then she raises her butt up and pushes her feet off the ground, trying to propel herself forward, but hasn't quite grasped that she needs to get her belly off the ground if she wants to go somewhere!  I'm sure she'll be up on all 4s in no time ;)  We are also working on sitting up.  She can do it if she supports herself with her hands in front of her, but once she moves those hands, her body slides forward - belly on the ground (flexible like mama!)! 




As for her language development, she makes all sorts of sounds with her mouth (ooohs, ohhhs, aaahs, and high pitched squeals.  She also makes the fffff sound a lot).  But her favorite is still blowing raspberries and making spitty, drooly noises!  So cute!  She smiles all the time, and has even given us a few belly laughs!  The first time she laughed I completely melted.  It was the most beautiful sound I'd ever heard! 


She is such a daddy's girl, too.  She gets a huge grin on her face when he gets home from work and loves it when he sings her silly songs and plays with her.  He also has a knack for calming her down when she is upset.  He just scoops her up and walks around with her singing her the ABCs and she is quiet in no time.  I am so grateful for all he does to provide for our family, and Hailey and I (and Bucky) just love him so much!

The most fun part of this past month for me has been Hailey eating solid foods.  The first couple weeks we did cereal only, and then I started phasing in simple fruits and vegetables.  I'm starting with the milder yellow/orange fruits & veggies first: apples, pears, bananas, yellow squash, sweet potato, and carrots. The next phase will be adding in green veggies (peas, green beans, avacado, etc).   I am making the baby food myself, so it makes me feel good to know that she is getting wholesome, organic fruits and vegetables with no extra ingredients or fillers.  Plus it is so easy, fun, and cheap to make the food myself!  I use the Baby Brezza baby food maker, which is essentially a food processor with a steaming component built right in, so I just peel and chop the veggies/fruit, throw them in the bowl of the machine, and hit go!  It steams and purees the food, so then I just dish the puree out into individual 1oz or 2oz cubes and throw 'em in the freezer! 

Yummy sweet potatoes, apples, carrots, pears, and squash!

Mommy's little helper!

Stand back!  Or I'll poke you with this carrot!

Ta-Da!

I can't forget another big happening this past month - the Cardinals won the world series!!!  Hailey is a huge Cardinals fan :)  She sported her Cardinals tee for each game of the series (even while she was sleeping!).  We went downtown for the championship parade and even though she slept through it, I know she had a great time ;)


For Hailey's first Halloween, she was the cutest little lady bug you've ever seen! 


I have a feeling Hailey is going to have lots of milestones in the coming month, plus her first Turkey Day!  Stay Tuned!

No comments:

Post a Comment